Saturday, July 14 at the Kaye Playhouse 7:30 pm
In conjunction with the Hunter College Music Department, the Martina Arroyo Foundation's Young Artist Program, Prelude to Performance presents Don Pasquale, traditionally staged and costumed with orchestra in original language with supertitles, and is family friendly.
Contact the Kaye Playhouse box office for more information at 212 . 772 . 4448
Prelude to Performance supports young, passionate artists from around the world.
Prelude to Performance culminates in performances of selected operas, staged, with costumes and orchestra.
The Prelude to Performance program will focus on the preparation of an entire role to include:
- the background of the role
- the historical perspective of the role
- the psychological motivations of the character
- the use of the body and voice in the
interpretation of the character
- the use of language to convey the character
with an emphasis on diction
Approximately thirty young artists are selected to participate from auditions held during the winter and spring months.
The first four weeks are dedicated to staging, lectures, seminars, master classes and individual coaching. On the fifth week we move into the theater and focus entirely on preparation for the final performances. Critiques are given to all participants after the performances by faculty and selected professionals. We begin staging in the first week, therefore all participants must come with their roles completely memorized and OFF BOOK by the first day of class. It should also be noted that if you arrive unprepared we reserve the option of releasing you from the program.
Prelude to Performance® gives selected young singers an opportunity to prepare and perform the complete interpretation of operatic roles in furtherance of the objectives of the Foundation.
The Prelude to Performance® program includes:
- Weekly Individual Coaching (more available at your own expense)
- Opera Workshop (stage movement, character motivation)
- Foreign Language Study of Selected Operas
- Role Class (probe character, historical context)
- Libretto Study — “Speak your Part!”
- Recitative Study
- Character Study
- Elective Master Classes (e.g. stage combat, makeup & costumes, management seminar)
- Critique session (faculty and professionals)
Meet the Prelude to Performance participants for 2018
José Luis Maldonado
Louis Alexander Riva
Gerardo de la Torre
Young Kwang Yoo
Nam Won Huh
Cynthia López Pérez
Huang Te Yu
Meet the Prelude to Performance staff 2018!
Maestro Willie Anthony Waters
Maestro Steven M. Crawford
Apply to Prelude to Performance
Prelude is open to opera singers ages 20–35.
Applicants must have sufficient vocal experience and stamina to handle the course of study and performance demands.
Applicants will be selected through an audition process by Ms. Arroyo and her artistic staff.
Recommendations from two professionals must accompany each application.
Tuition is FREE!
Be aware the program does not include housing and living expenses.
Information about housing for participants from outside New York City will be available. However "tuition free" only refers to participants and not auditors or covers.
Additional Questions or comments?
We'd love to hear from you.
Auditions are now Closed
Auditions are held at Hunter College in the Spring
695 Park Ave, New York, NY 10065
Stipends are limited.
- The breakdown will be presented at a later date.
- Please also be aware that because of some grants that were not received, we are forced to make major cuts in our stipends. Therefore, stipends will be VERY limited.